Summer is gone, and that’s too bad. On the other hand: WELCOME TO OYSTER FESTIVAL SEASON!
Here are the October and November oyster events I’ve been able to round up so far. If I missed one in your town, please let me (and everyone else) know about it in the comments.
• The 45th annual Chincoteague Oyster Festival is coming up on Sat. Oct. 7. Last I checked, there were tickets available–but it sells out early every year, so no guarantees on availability. Details here.
• The High Street Hot Sauce & Oyster Festival is in downtown Cambridge on Sun, Oct. 8. The great Bird Dog & the Road Kings are playing. Details here.
• The gorgeous Mount Harmon plantation in Earleville (near Cecilton) has its annual Bull & Oyster Roast on Sat., Oct. 14. Scroll down to the date here for details.
• The Rock Hall Fall Fest on Sat., Oct. 14 is a street festival with music, crafts, vendors, and more celebrating “Family, Community, and Oysters!” Fresh-shucked oysters, fried oysters, and oyster stew are featured. Details here.
• The tradition of a “Big Thursday” season-opening oyster party in Bowers Beach, Del. dates clear back to 1852. They still call it Big Thursday nowadays, though the event is new held on a weekend. This year, it’s Sunday, Oct. 15. Details here.
• The annual Soule Arnold Oyster Roast sounds like a sweet bit of small-town bliss. Held in a park on Main Street in Exmore, Va. it’s scheduled this year for the evening of Fri., Oct. 20. Details here.
• The big annual Oyster Festival at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels is Sat., Oct. 28. Details here.
• The Saxis Island Oyster Roast is Sat., Nov. 4. It’s organized a little differently–indoors, with table service. All you do is raise your hand and they come running, apparently. Details here.
• The Oyster Jam at Phillips Wharf Environmental Center on Tilghman Island is scheduled for Sat., Nov. 4. Details here.
• The Island House in Wachapreague will have an Oyster Roast on Sat., Nov. 4. Details here.
• On Sat., Nov. 11, Chatham Vineyards in Machipongo will be holding its annual Merroir and Terroir Oyster Extravaganza. Details here.
• The annual Brew and Oyster Brawl at the Tidewater Inn on Sat., Nov. 11 in Easton is part of the town’s humongous Waterfowl Festival weekend. Details here.
• Ducks Unlimited will be having an Oyster Roast on Sat., Nov. 18 at the Barrier Island Center in Machipongo, Va. Details here.
• The Cape Charles Historical Society is having its big Oyster Roast on Sat., Nov. 25. Details here.
• One last item, FYI: On Saturdays, the cutting-edge Hoopers Island Aquaculture operation offers tours of their fascinating facility on, yes, Hoopers Island–and these tours include tastings and libations. Details here.
Happy oystering, everyone!
–Posted by Jim Duffy on Sept. 29, 2017
NOTE: This is the kind of info that comes right to your inbox via my MONTH OF FUNDAYS newsletter. It comes out once a month, and you can sign up in the pretty pink-ish bar at the top of this page …