When it comes time to greet the New Year 2017, our Delmarva towns will be going all out to drop a little fun on their citizens come Saturday night. In addition to traditional ball drops, there will be a crab drop, a muskrat drop, a rockfish drop, a deadrise drop, a crab-pot drop, an anchor drop, and a horseshoe drop.
You will find a list of those civic celebrations below, along with a collection of ocean plunge parties and First Day Hikes planned for Sunday, Jan. 1. Here’s hoping it helps get your new year off to a swell start. And if I missed anything in your town, please feel free to spread the word in the comments.
New Year 2017: The Drops
• EASTON: There will be two Crab Drops, one at 9pm for kids and early-to-bed types, and the other at midnight. There are a slew of fun events around starting at 6pm, all a part of First Night Talbot. Details here.
• PRINCESS ANNE: Starting at 9pm, there will be music and dancing in the streets as part of the buildup to the big Midnight Muskrat Dive in Princess Anne. Details here.
• CAMBRIDGE: The Deadrise Drop in Cambridge is new this year. I hear that the there is going to be a trotlining aspect to this bit of local genius, with the boat dropping crabs at regular intervals on its way down. Details here.
• ROCK HALL: The wacky Hat Parade gets going at 6pm. Yes, there are prizes involved. Then there will be more fun and games on the way to the big Rockfish Drop at midnight. Details here.
• DEWEY BEACH: They are having a Ball Drop event on New Orleans Street. Details here.
• BERLIN: There will be a beer garden, food vendors, and music in advance of a Ball Drop. Details here.
• SALISBURY: The festivities in downtown Salisbury get going about 8pm. There will be music, beer, wine, and food trucks in the street leading up to the Ball Drop—and oh yes, fireworks, too! Details here.
• CHINCOTEAGUE: The Horseshoe Drop is the big thing here. There will be a fun costume contest and promenade as well. This year’s theme is “Boots, Chaps, and Cowboy Hats.” Details here.
• CAPE CHARLES: The Crab Pot Drop happens on Mason Street near the library, with festivities getting going at 10pm. Details here.
• BETHANY BEACH: There will be a Beach Ball Drop on the Boardwalk, with festivities getting going at 10:30pm. Details here.
• LEWES: The historic Lightship Overfalls will be throwing its big Anchor Drop bash once again this year. Details here.
• GEORGETOWN (Del.): On the circle downtown, there will be a Raise the Ball affair with food trucks, breweries, bonfires, music, and more. Details here.
New Year 2017: Chilly Dips
No, I absolutely, positively will not be running into the ocean come Sunday, Jan. 1. That said, don’t let me spoil your fun!
• The Ocean City Penguin Swim
• The Dewey Dunk
• Exercise Like the Eskimos (Bethany Beach)
• The Chincoteague Pony Plunge
• The Big Dip in Rock Hall
New Year 2017: First Day Hikes
• This list of First Day Hikes in Delaware includes events at a slew of state parks in our area, including Cape Henlopen, First State Heritage, Holts Landing, Killens Pond, Lums Pond, and Trap Pond.
• This list of First Day Hikes in Maryland includes events at Assateague Island, Elk Neck, Janes Island, Pocomoke River, and Tuckahoe state parks, as well as at the Wye Island Natural Resources Management Area.
–Compiled by Jim Duffy. Happy New Year, everyone!