Here are a dozen-plus classic Labor Day events where you might find the holiday weekend fun you’re looking for on the Eastern Shore and in Southern Delaware.
• The legendary Hard Crab Derby and Fair in Crisfield, Md. starts off with a carnival that runs Wednesday through Sunday. The big days are Saturday and Sunday, with live music and contests in crab picking, crab cooking, crab racing, and more. Details here.
• Nearby is the Deal Island (Md.) Skipjack Race & Festival, which is celebrating its 60th birthday this year. The race is Monday morning, but music and other festivities will be going at the harbor on Saturday evening and all day Sunday as well. Details here.
• The Jazz Funeral in Bethany Beach, Del. on the Monday night of Labor Day weekend sounds like a ton of fun. They will officially bury the summer of 2019 amid lots of grim reaper costumes, coffins, and New Orleans jazz. The burial parade is pictured here. Details here.
• Every year, the Monty Alexander Jazz Festival brings top-of-the-line talent into Easton, Md. for a series of shows on Labor Day weekend. Here is this year’s lineup.
• The Chincoteague Island (Va.) Decoy Carvers & Arts Festival on Saturday and Sunday at the Chincoteague Center gives you the chance to meet some amazing regional artists. Details here.
• The Mid-Atlantic Symphony holds its annual end-of-season show on Sunday at the Freeman Stage in Selbyville, Del., performing a mix of classical standards and jazz gems. There will be fireworks afterward. It’s free, but you need to make reservations. Details here.
• Arts lovers might want to wander Talbot County, Md. this weekend. The St. Michaels Art League will be holding its annual sale of works by members Saturday and Sunday at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church. Details here. In nearby Oxford on Sunday, there is an art stroll that takes you into the working studios of local artists. Details here.
• At Poodle Beach in Rehoboth Beach, Del. on Sunday, it’s the big annual Drag Volleyball Game with a good number of associated festivities planned as well. Details here.
• In Smyrna, Del. on Saturday, it’s time for the Beer Rims & Notes Car Show at Blue Earl Brewing. There will be live music, food trucks, classic cars, and more. Details.
• In Arden, Del. just northeast of Wilmington, the annual Arden Fair on Saturday features more than 100 artisans and craftspeople along with a slew of kids’ activities, food trucks, live music, and more. Details.
• In Milton, Del. on Saturday, bluegrass and country music will be front and center all day at the Broadkill Music Festival. Details.
–research and writing by Jim Duffy
NOTE: The panoramic moment below from an Eastern Shore Skipjack Race by Jill Jasuta Photography is available through Secrets of the Eastern Shore at this link. In my opinion, the canvas version is the best one!