Happy Halloween, everyone! Here is a little guide to Halloween Fun on Delmarva that I worked up to help get you in the spirit. If I missed a big event in your town, please add in the comments …
HAUNTED TOURS, HOUSES, FORTS, FORESTS, & … A LIBRARY
• There are lots of CHESAPEAKE GHOST WALKS and paranormal investigations to choose from in the coming weeks. Details & calendar.
• You can come along for PEA PARCH PARANORMAL INVESTIGATIONS at Fort Delaware State Park in Delaware City, Del. on Oct. 19-20 and 26-27. Details.
• The spooky BEACH MAZE in Ocean City, Md. will be up for the weekends of Oct. 20-21 and 27-28. Details.
• The HAUNTED HOUSE ON TILGHMAN ISLAND, Md. is all the way down at Black Walnut Point on Oct. 26-27 and Nov. 2-3. Details.
• On Halloween night, Oct. 31, the Queen Anne’s Historical Society turns the historic Tucker House at 123 South Liberty Street in Centreville, Md. is into a SPOOKY HOUSE. Details.
• SLAUGHTER HOUSE FARM off Route 13 in Laurel, Del. is open weekends through Sat., Oct. 27. Details.
• The HAUNTED BARN & TRAIL in Camden-Wyoming, Del. is open upcoming weekends, plus Halloween night and Nov. 1. Details.
• The DEVIL’S PLAYGROUND off of Route 301 near Galena, Md. is open most weekend nights through Sat., Nov. 3. Details.
• I believe that Selbyville, Del. has the only HAUNTED LIBRARY in our area (Oct. 31 only). Details.
FESTIVALS, MUSIC, & EVENTS
These are listed in order of date, starting with Fri., Oct. 19:
• BOO-B-QUE BY THE SEA is hybrid affair, both barbecue fest and Halloween party. It’s Fri./Sat., Oct. 19/20 at the Big Chill Beach Club at Delaware Seashore State Park. Details.
• The Milton (Del.) Theatre’s annual ZOMBIE FESTIVAL on Sat., Oct. 20 is a daylong affair with half a dozen bands that culminates in big Zombie Walk through town at 8pm. No worries: They are going to have makeup stations set up. Details. Then, later that same night, the theater will be showing the Rocky Horror Picture Show (details).
• Decorated cars will be cruising down the Boardwalk in Ocean City, Md. on Sat., Oct. 20 in the DRIVE IN DISGUISE HALLOWEEN PARADE. Details.
• Also in Ocean City, Md. the big HOWL-O-WEEN PET PARADE is Sat., Oct. 20. Details.
• Martinak State Park near Denton, Md. has Halloween activities planned for its FALL FESTIVAL on Sat., Oct. 20. Details.
• Up in little Betterton, Md., the American Legion is throwing a HALLOWEEN COSTUME DANCE on Sat., Oct. 20. Details.
• Lots of family-oriented Halloween themed fun is on tap during the FALL INTO ST. MICHAELS festivities on the weekend of Oct. 20-21. Details.
• The BOOS & BOOZE COSTUME PARTY at the Lemon Tree Gallery in Cape Charles, Va. sounds like a lot of fun. It’s Fri., Oct. 26. Details. The Lemon Tree fun continues through the weekend with two spooky one-act plays on Sat., Oct. 27 (details) and then a storyteller spinning local ghost yarns on Sun., Oct. 28 (details).
• The annual HALLOWEEN PARADE in Elkton, Md. is Fri., Oct. 26. Details.
• Kids can wander among police and fire vehicles stocked with goodies in the SAFE TRICK OR TREAT event in Dover, Del. on Fri., Oct. 26. Details.
• A costume contest, a parade, pumpkin carving, and more is planned for the HALLOWEEN HOWL festivities at Trap Pond State Park near Laurel, Del. on Fri./Sat Oct. 26 and 27. Details.
• Approximately seven thousand events–I exaggerate, but not by much–are part of the SEA WITCH FESTIVAL Oct. 26-28 in Rehoboth Beach and Dewey Beach, Del. As you can see from the photo up top, the parade is quite a big deal. Details.
• Along the CHILDREN’S FANTASY TRAIL at Cape Henlopen State Park near Lewes, Del., kids can meet some of their favorite storybook characters while trick or treating. This is the 30th anniversary of the event, so you know it’s a popular affair. Oct. 26-28. Details.
• At the wacky GREAT PUMPKIN RACE in Ocean City, Md., contestants arrive with pumpkins that have been transformed into racing gourdes by way of installing axles and wheels. It is Sat., Oct. 27. Details.
• In Rock Hall, Md., the HALLOWEEN PARADE will be Sat., Oct. 27. There is a costume contest, too. Details.
• The ZOMBIE BAR CRAWL through downtown Salisbury, Md. on Sat., Oct. 27 sounds like fun. Details.
• Spend the night amid the creepy critters and big skeletons during the Delaware Museum of Natural History’s HALLOWEEN SLEEPOVER on Sat., Oct. 27 in Wilmington, Del. Details.
• The WAGS, WITCHES, AND WARLOCKS FESTIVAL in Georgetown, Del. on Sat., Oct. 27 is a family-friendly (and dog-friendly) affair with costumes, a parades, crafts, and more. Details.
• Street performers and hayrides are part of the big annual TRUNK OR TREAT event on Sat., Oct. 27 in Cape Charles, Va. Details.
• There will be a HALLOWEEN PARADE through historic Chestertown, Md. on Sat., Oct. 27. Details.
• The FALL FESTIVAL at the Ross Mansion in Seaford, Del. features hayrides, pumpkins, face painting, and trick or treating. Sat., Oct. 27. Details.
• The HALLOWEEN FUN AT THE FURNACE event on Sat., Oct. 27 at the Furnacetown Living Heritage Village near Snow Hill, Md. includes crafts, music, and trick or treating at the various historical buildings on site. Details.
• In Ocean View, Del., the police department puts on the annual COPS AND GOBLINS FEST on Sat., Oct. 27 with pony rides, carnival games, costume contests, and more. Details.
• They will be showing spooky MOVIES ON THE RIVER in downtown Salisbury, Md. on Sat., Oct. 27. Details.
• Take a hayride to a nature trail that is dotted with illuminated pumpkins, then enjoy cider, hot chocolate, chili, and more at the GREAT PUMPKIN TOUR in Chincoteague, Va. on Sat., Oct. 27. Details.
• At Layton’s Chance Vineyard near Vienna, Md., they are having a tasting event on Sat., Oct. 27 featuring WINE & HALLOWEEN CANDY pairings. No, I’m not kidding. Details.
• CENTREVILLE (Md.) DAY is on Sat., Oct. 27 this year, so there will be lots of Halloween activities. Yes, the Great Centreville Cookie Contest is back. Details.
• There will be ghost stories told during the guided HALLOWEEN PADDLES ON ONANCOCK CREEK in Onancock, Va. on Sat./Sun. Oct. 27 and 28. Details.
• A big SPOOK OUT PARTY will be held at Northside Park in Ocean City, Md. on Sun., Oct. 28. Details.
• The STEAMIN’ HALLOWEEN event on Sun., Oct. 28 at the Marshall Steam Museum near Wilmington, Del. adds steam-powered train and automobile rides to a traditional Halloween array of candy, crafts, etc. Details.
• At OCTOBERFEST: A GHOSTLY AFFAIR in Centreville, Md. on Sun., Oct. 28, guests are encouraged to arrive dressed like the ghost of a local figure from days gone by in Queen Anne’s County. Details.
• The new Cabin Fever Play Centre in downtown Cambridge, Md. is having a HALLOWEEN BASH on Sunday, Oct. 28. Details.
Thanks for spending a little time with this year’s edition of Halloween Fun on Delmarva. Again, if I missed events that you love here, please feel add them in below in the comments to spread the word. If you can, include a link to more info …
–Compiled by Jim Duffy