Happy Halloween, all! Here is your little guide to enjoying the season on the Eastern Shore and in Southern Delaware. Don’t forget to check out this online version of the MONTH OF FUNDAYS e-newsletter for October for non-Halloween events.
Also, you can sign up to get Secrets e-mails in the pretty pinkish box up top of every page on the SECRETS WEBSITE.
HAUNTED TOURS AND PLACES
• The annual spooky BEACH MAZE in Ocean City.
• The SLAUGHTER HOUSE FARM off Route 13 in Laurel.
• The HAUNTED FOREST at Roxana, Del.
• SCREAMS AT THE BEACH is between Georgetown and Lewes.
• The HAUNTED BARN & TRAIL is in Camden-Wyoming.
• Lots of CHESAPEAKE GHOST WALKS this time of year.
• I believe that Selbyville has the only HAUNTED LIBRARY in our area (Oct. 31 only).
FESTIVALS & PARADES
• Approximately seven thousand events are part of the SEA WITCH FESTIVAL Oct. 23-25 in Rehoboth and Dewey. OK, I exaggerate. But not by much … as you can see from the photo up top, they really love Halloween over that way.
• At the CHILDREN’S FANTASY TRAIL, kids can visit some of their favorite storybook characters while trick or treating. The link here is for Oct. 23, but it also runs on Oct. 24 and 25.
• I have always thought to the GREAT PUMPKIN RACE in Ocean City sounded like great wacky fun. It is Oct. 24.
• There is a big costume party this year as part of the ISLAND BAY DAY rock music bash on Kent Island on Oct. 17.
• There will be a ZOMBIE WALK through Milton on Oct. 23–afterwards, it’s time for dancing at the Apocalypse Ball.
• Lots of family-oriented Halloween themed fun is on tap at the FALL INTO ST. MICHAELS festivities Oct. 17-18 and 24-25.
• A pumpkin carving contest is part of the CHESAPEAKE CITY FALL FESTIVAL on Oct. 25.
• Lots of Halloween stuff planned for the FALL FANTASTIC FUN FEST at Trap Pond State Park near Laurel on Oct. 24.
• The Oyster Farm at Kings Creek in Cape Charles is having a big TRICK OR TREAT bash with contests, music, kids’ movie screening, and more. It’s on Oct. 24.
• Martinak State Park near Denton has a FALL FESTIVAL planned for Oct. 24, too.
• In Ocean View on Halloween, the COPS AND GOBLINS FEST features a magic show, costume contests, and more.
• Cape Charles has some HALLOWEEN FESTIVITIES planned for Oct. 31, including a big superhero costume contest at the Library
• CENTREVILLE DAY falls on Oct. 31 this year, so there will be Halloween festivities involved. And yes, the big Cookie Contest is back.
• EDGAR ALLAN POE will be making a dramatic appearance at the Old State House in Dover on Halloween night.
• The graves of lost sailors will be the focus of the SPOOKY ON SATURDAYS tour in Lewes on Oct. 24 and 31.
• Once the announcement goes up that “rice, toast, hot dogs, and prunes are not allowed,” you know it must be time for a ROCKY HORROR showing at the Milton Theater. Sat., Oct. 17.
• It will be a tasty Halloween weekend at Delaware Seashore State Park, thanks to a new KC BBQ competition & bash called BOO B CUE BY THE SEA.
• Oh, and alas: The PUNKIN CHUNKIN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP is cancelled for the second year in a row.
If I missed events here that you love, add them in below in the comments to spread the word. Include a link to more info–a couple of events didn’t make it into this guide because I couldn’t find reliable online info to help people enjoy ….
–Compiled by Jim Duffy