Lots of Delmarva towns will be going all out to drop some fun on for New Year’s Eve. There will be a crab drop, a muskrat drop, a rockfish drop, an anchor drop, a crab-pot drop, and a horseshoe drop in addition to the more traditional ball drops and fireworks shows.
You will find a info on those civic celebrations below. Here’s hoping it helps get your next year off to a fun-loving start. Stay safe, everyone!
• In Dewey Beach, Del. the New Years Ball Drop happens on New Orleans Street. Info here.
• The Anchor Drop in Lewes, Del. happens at the historic Lightship Overfalls. Info here.
• There will be New Year’s Eve Fireworks in Wilmington, Del. along the downtown Riverwalk. Info here.
• In Cape Charles, Va. the Crab Pot Drop happens two hours early, at 10pm, to encourage family participation. As they like to point out, “Hey, it’s midnight in Greenland.” Info here.
• In Chincoteague, Va., the traditional New Year’s festivities are two-fold–a Horseshoe Drop and a Costume Promenade. Info here.
• The First Night Talbot festivities in Easton, Md. feature alcohol-free performances and fun events in various downtown locations between 6pm and midnight, culminating in a big Crab Drop. Info here.
• Fireworks are the big attraction in Ocean City, Md., with two shows–one down at the Inlet and other up in Northside Park. There will be a drive-in movie double feature at the Inlet. Info here.
• In Princess Anne, Md., the magnificently weird Midnight Muskrat Dive is back! Info here. The event also has a Facebook page, though that hadn’t been updated at the time I put this together. Perhaps it will be updated by the time you check on it.
• In Salisbury, Md., the Ball Drop, live music, and related festivities happen in the historic downtown. Info here.
• In downtown Berlin, Md., there will be a kids’ ball drop early on. Leading up to midnight there will be DJs, laser shows, and then another ball drop. Info here.
• In Crisfield, Md., the festivities in and around the library culminate in a big Oyster Drop. Details. (For little ones, the library throws a midday party complete with a “Noon Year’s Eve” balloon drop. Info on that.)
• In Rock Hall, Md., the Hat Parade happens in the early evening with a big Rockfish Drop coming later. Head down to the date here and click on those two calendar items for info. If the details there are too thin for you, here’s a phone number: 410-639-7611.
• In Snow Hill, Md., they are doing a kids-oriented New Year’s Eve event with a stuffed Goat Drop at 5pm. Hot dogs, games, and more at the old firehouse. Info here.
–compiled by Jim Duffy for Secrets of the Eastern Shore on Dec. 16, 2022.