Our Delmarva towns will be going all out to drop a little fun on their citizens come New Year’s Eve. In addition to traditional ball drops, there will be a crab drop, a muskrat drop, a rockfish drop, a deadrise drop, a crab-pot drop, an anchor drop, and a horseshoe drop.
You will find a list of those civic celebrations below. Here’s hoping it helps get your new decade off to a fun-loving start. Stay safe, everyone!
MARYLAND: NEW YEAR’S EVE
• BERLIN, Md.: There will be a special kids-oriented ball drop at 6pm, then a street party with food trucks, music, and libations in advance of the adult Ball Drop at midnight. Details here.
• CAMBRIDGE, Md.: The Deadrise Workboat Drop in Cambridge has a trotlining aspect to it, with the boat dropping crabs at regular intervals on its way down. It happens twice in the heart of the downtown, once at 8pm for the early-to-bed family set and then again at midnight. Details here.
• EASTON, Md.: There will be two Crab Drops, one at 9pm for early-to-bed types (the fun Parade of Sea Creatures happens then, too), and the other at midnight. There are a slew of fun events all around town starting at 6pm, all as part of First Night Talbot. Details here.
• PRINCESS ANNE, Md.: Starting at 9pm, there will be music, dancing, games, and food in the streets as part of the buildup to the big Midnight Muskrat Dive in Princess Anne. Details here.
• CRISFIELD, Md.: A big Oyster Drop will unfold outside the library at midnight. The indoor party leading up to that includes pizza, snacks, beer and wine, more. Details here.
• SALISBURY, Md.: The festivities in downtown Salisbury get going about 9pm. There will be live music, beer, wine, and food trucks in the street leading up to a big Ball Drop. Details here.
VIRGINIA: NEW YEAR’S EVE
• CAPE CHARLES, Va.: The Crab Pot Drop happens along Mason Avenue, with live music starting at 9pm. Details here.
• CHINCOTEAGUE, Va.: The Horseshoe Drop is the big thing here. There will be a fun costume contest and promenade as well, so get out your best 1950s garb. Details here.
DELAWARE: NEW YEAR’S EVE
• BETHANY BEACH, Del.: There will be a Beach Ball Drop on the Boardwalk, with festivities getting going at 10:30pm. DJ, light show, party favors, etc. Details here.
• WILMINGTON, Del.: They do the fireworks early on the Riverfront in Wilmington, at 9pm. The big ice rink will be open, as will the fun Constitution Yards beer garden. Details here.
• GEORGETOWN, Del.: On the circle downtown, there will be a Raise the Ball affair with food trucks, bonfires, a big heated tent, music, and more. Details here.
• LEWES, Del.: The historic Lightship Overfalls will be throwing its Anchor Drop bash once again this year. Bonfire, hot chocolate, more. Details here.
• WILMINGTON, Del.: The Delaware Children’s Museum at Riverfront Wilmington is planning a midday celebration called “New Year’s Rockin’ Noon” with music, games, confetti, countdowns, and more. Details here.