Our Delmarva towns will be going all out to drop a little fun on their citizens come New Year’s Eve. In addition to traditional ball drops, there will be a crab drop, a muskrat drop, a rockfish drop, a deadrise drop, a crab-pot drop, an anchor drop, and a horseshoe drop.
You will find a list of those civic celebrations below, along with a collection of ocean plunge parties and First Day Hikes planned for Tuesday, Jan. 1. Here’s hoping it helps get your new year off to a swell start.
MARYLAND: NEW YEAR’S EVE
• CAMBRIDGE, Md.: The Deadrise Drop in Cambridge has a trotlining aspect to it, with the boat dropping crabs at regular intervals on its way down. It happens in the heart of the downtown. Details here.
• EASTON, Md.: There will be two Crab Drops, one at 9pm for kids and early-to-bed types, and the other at midnight. There are a slew of fun events all around town starting at 6pm, all as part of First Night Talbot. Details here.
• SALISBURY, Md.: The festivities in downtown Salisbury get going about 8pm. There will be music, beer, wine, and food trucks in the street leading up to the Ball Drop—and oh yes, fireworks, too! Details here.
• ROCK HALL, Md.: The Wacky Hat Parade gets going at 6:45 pm. Yes, there are prizes involved. Then there will be more fun and games on the way to the big Rockfish Drop at midnight. Details here.
VIRGINIA: NEW YEAR’S EVE
• CAPE CHARLES, Va.: The Crab Pot Drop happens in Central Park this year. Festivities getting going at 7pm, including ticketed spaces to the party in a big heated tent. Details here.
• CHINCOTEAGUE, Va.: The Horseshoe Drop is the big thing here. There will be a fun costume contest and promenade as well. This year’s theme is “Superheroes and Villains” Details here.
DELAWARE: NEW YEAR’S EVE
• BETHANY BEACH, Del.: There will be a Beach Ball Drop on the Boardwalk, with festivities getting going at 10:30pm. Details here.
• DEWEY BEACH, Del.: They are having a Ball Drop event on New Orleans Street. Details here.
• GEORGETOWN, Del.: On the circle downtown, there will be a Raise the Ball affair with food trucks, breweries, bonfires, music, and more. Details here.
• LEWES, Del.: The historic Lightship Overfalls will be throwing its big Anchor Drop bash once again this year. Details here. It will be the last night of the big Winter Wonderfest Light Show in Lewes as well. Details on that.
CHILLY DIPS: NEW YEAR’S DAY
No, I absolutely, positively will not be running into the ocean or the Bay come Tuesday, Jan. 1. That said, don’t let me spoil your fun!
• The Ocean City (Md.) Penguin Swim
• The Dewey (Del.) Dunk
• Exercise Like the Eskimos (Bethany Beach, Del.)
• The Chincoteague (Va.) Pony Plunge
• Over on the Bay, there is The Big Dip in Rock Hall, Md.
FIRST DAY HIKES: NEW YEAR’S DAY
• This list of First Day Hikes in Delaware includes events at a slew of state parks in our area, including Cape Henlopen, First State Heritage, Holts Landing, Killens Pond, Lums Pond, and Trap Pond.
• This list of First Day Hikes in Maryland includes events at Assateague Island, Elk Neck, Janes Island, Pocomoke River, and Tuckahoe state parks, as well as at the Wye Island Natural Resources Management Area.
• In Virginia, Kiptopeke State Park near Cape Charles will be joining in the First Day Hike fun.
–Compiled by Makena Duffy. Happy New Year, everyone!
PS: If we I missed anything in your town, please feel free to spread the word by adding a comment here and including a link to where folks can go to get more info.